Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chai class

These past couple weeks did nothing but remind me that time is running out fast. It was really weird for me too because I realized that this month would be filled with "This is the last time I'll _____ for two years."

I went up to LA to celebrate Passover with my Aunt and her family. I had such a wonderful time, her family cracked me up. I was blindsided when I was saying goodbye to them all and one of her sister's said "I hope you'll be able to come over next year". That's when it hit me, I won't be able to make it next year. I mean, I might if I work out my vacation time, but I realized that this actually was my last Seder state side for a while. I'm really sad that I didn't start going to my Aunt's family's Seders earlier because they are so awesome,welcoming, and hilarious.


I was also able to make it to Sunday morning services (for the first day of Passover) at this Persian Sephardic temple in Beverly Hills that I LOVE. The website said that services would begin at 8:30 am...but there was no way I was waking up that early to go to services. I figured if I showed up at 9:30 or 10 I would be ok. I ended up getting there at 10:30 and had plenty of seats to chose from, and the youth service (i.e. the one in English) had just barely started. Actually it was pretty funny because I got to the Temple early enough to get a place to sit, but half an hour into services there was standing room only. I had the opportunity to perform a mitzvah when I switched seats with a lady in the row in front of mine so she could sit with her family. Then my row was made to scoot down to make room for more people to sit, each congregant half assing a seat. Like they say, "no good deed goes unpunished". It was, in all honesty, a wonderful experience.

The Rabbi gave an awesome sermon that made me look like a nutcase cuz I was the only person on the verge of tears listening to it. His topic was freedom, which he emphasized by reading the Gettysburg Address. He underscored the freedoms we have in America by emphasizing the fact that the grandparents of the congregants would not believe the freedoms the Jewish community has in America. He implored us to take this opportunity that freedom has given us and use it to better the world. Then he started talking as if only to me. He started talking about this Jewish spark in all of us that compels us to do good for humanity. Under all our flaws as humans (greed, lust, countless insecurities, etc) there is a spark that can never be put out. His message made me feel like I was born with that spark all along, and converting to Judaism really stoked it. The Rabbi wanted the entire congregation to stoke that spark, because the community is strengthened by the intensity of it's members' passion to do right . I am so grateful to the Rabbi for helping me appreciate the passion I have within myself to help others, and I'm definitely going to carry his message with me to Romania.

Hearing that sermon really made me regret that I will be leaving so soon, because I wanted so bad to get really active with all that the temple is doing, even though they're up in Beverly Hills and I'm in San Diego. As I left the room I realized that that was the last time I would go to services at that temple for two years. I have only gone there three times in the past five months, but each time has been an enlightening experience about the Sephardic tradition, Persian culture, or just myself and my goals. Even though I will really miss all the opportunities to connect with the Jewish community up in LA, I look forward to finding opportunities to experience the Jewish faith in Romania and on the trips I plan to take while I'm in service.

Later that afternoon I went to hang out with my friend Penina who lives up in LA. I was so worried that I would only be able to hang out with her for an hour or so, but was delighted when she came over to have second night Seder with me and my Aunt's family. We had such a good time cracking jokes and catching up on each other's lives. I was really saddened when we hugged goodbye because I new that would be the last time I would see her for two years. I got a little relief when I reminded myself that I can drunk dial her any time :)

Well, that was my Passover. Way too much fun for words. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to finishing off all this leftover matzah.

No comments: