Friday, April 4, 2008

Who's got Romania mania!?

It's official, I'm going to Romania. I've accepted my invitation, my passport docs have been received, and my Peace Corps toolkit even has Romania splayed all over the front page. I even sent out my Aspiration Statement and updated resume. I totally forgot how draining writing is!!!



I've never had to make such a deep plunge so quickly. I know that it won't hit me that I'm going to be gone for two years until I'm actually on the plane heading for staging...maybe not even until my flight to Romania! I've seen so many people make a big deal about me leaving, but my reaction has always been the same:

"It's not like we aren't going to talk for two years. I'll be coming back! Jeez."



Well this weekend is my big shopping spree to get everything I need (or most of it anyway). My biggest conern is getting the right attire for cold weather. I have never lived in a place where it snows. I've seen snow, played in snow, but never had to deal with it on a daily basis for the whole of winter. I do have my spiffy (yeah, I said it) winter coat that the Air Force issues to its troops in Alaska. Hopefully after this weekend I'll have some sweet lookin snow boots, all the thermals I can pack into the Army duffel bags I'll be using for luggage, warm professional clothes, and whatever else I'll need for my trip. After I go on this shopping excursion I'll post my packing list for your consideration.



Other than that there's not much to report. I was hoping to get a Romania specific invitation kit, but nothing to that effect has come in the mail. I ran through the Romanian language lessons the Peace Corps web site offers and I gotta say it is a beautiful language. It seriously is like Italian and Spanish had a love child and that kid got a lot of influence from his Hebrew aunt. I'm so excited to start formal lessons and see how hot I sound speaking it ;)



I really want to see what the country is like too. I watched this movie called "Four months, three weeks, and two days" that was filmed in Romania by a Romanian director to get a very superficial idea of what Romania looked like, and I loved it! (Both what the country looked like and the film). It's been so long since I've been exposed to any kind of new environment that I might get overloaded when I get off the plane. I don't know how to describe how I feel when I get into another country except that I get so excited for all the new opportunities in front of me.

Well, until the next time I get the urge to post...over and out!

No comments: