Monday, September 22, 2014

Târgu Ocna Orphanage one year time lapse

Again, I have fallen lapse in updating my blog, but here goes an interesting attempt to keep y'all up to date on my travels in the most entertaining way possible.

The focus of this post is the orphans that I held a photography course with in the town I was stationed at in the Peace Corps. A later post will be of these kids' amazing photography work, but let me introduce them first.

So the following pics are of my visit to the orphanage in August 2013 after not seeing them for 2 years. I was such an amazing reunion:

I brought back bracelets from my trip to Hawaii for them.

And of course, brought them plenty of Comic Con swag!

Me giving out presents

Kids playing with some toys that my friend donated.

Ninja Turtle Swag!

Me with a girl who wasn't there during my Peace Corps service

Kids super excited over all the goodies

And this creepy mask was Comic Con swag that the kids loved to mess around with.

The were freaking each other out so much


Even the littlest one put it on

And of course they busted out the Twister game I got them.



Great practice for colors, left, right, and body parts :)


These are all girls who I had tutored and done the photography course with


Catching me at a rare moment where I wasn't yelling at the kids LOL

So much fun with them

Best pic we're gonna get :P



This is the first time the kids saw me blonde and they all wanted to try it out.

It was fun to let them play with my hair

Some of them can totally pull off blonde :)

She's loving life as a blonde

Even the littlest one got REALLY into it

Then I made another visit to Romania September 2014 and visited the orphanage no less than four times during my week long visit, and the kids were still telling me I didn't spend enough time with them.

Of course I give out In 'N Out hats and stickers to the kids

Just before we play "Down by the Banks of the Hanky Panky". They LOVE that game

Captive audience

The final showdown

And of course Twister gets busted out again. The littlest ones played first

And very soon ended like this

Then the older ones played in a much more coordinated effort

Seriously LOL
 
This video is for all my Indian friends...they can see how much I did in teaching Romanian children about a very important aspect of Indian culture ;)
 
 After a couple days absence, I headed back to go with the kids and the Nun who takes care of them to the park.
The walk on the way from the orphanage to the park.

Their little legs are too short to walk that whole time

Fetele mele (my girls!)

We made it to Margura Park

Selfie on the play set!

I had to say bye to them too soon to go and see former students that same day (I had so many people who I had to catch up with).

I don't have any pics of the other visit I made where I played volleyball with the bigger kids and had so much. I get way too competitive. I was on the team with the youngest of the group, and we named our team, brought it in regularly to cheer for ourselves, and basically made huge jackasses of ourselves. I made sure to get in an English lesson and taught them that "Fii Atent!" means "Get it together!" and "Poti" is "You got this".

Then I went over for dinner my last night in Târgu Ocna and had the hardest time saying goodbye.
She was just so CUTE!

When I saw this little girl I just started screaming "It's a tiara!!!" like Amy Farrah Fowler (she even let me wear it)...btw, great photobomb by one of the older girls.

Spaghetti made by the Mother Superior who is from Italy...delish! 

The Romanian Nun serving the kids.

The Mother Superior serving the kids.

The little boy said "You didn't get a pic of me!" so I obliged :)

Delish salad!!!

Like, seriously.
 It was so hard to say goodbye to those little faces. The little ones were all getting ready for bed (and by that I mean running around playing in their bedrooms) when I said goodbye to them. The older ones held me back to play some games and see me a little longer. Then the Nun let them walk me to the corner so I could head home since it was so late. So many hugs were shared...kids saying "Nu te las sa pleci!" (I won't let you leave!).
One last pic with gașca mea (my crew)
 
Please feel free to contact me if you in any way want to help this orphanage. I can send you more information on them as it is an amazing place full of lots of love.

No comments: